czwartek, 1 kwietnia 2010

Mood Painting-Movie Praising



Cool sunny days prior to which there was an over-stuffing with comfort food, late booze drinking (Miller  plus G&T), walking home in the rain, sleep deprivation on top of regular female maladies make one cranky and inert me. Which makes me think some very  thoughtful thoughts and  thoughts about the future and generally be rather mopey. I'm working on that one, not by ignoring the mood but by riding it out, trying to befriend it like a timid animal. So for a change I let the thoughts of friendships lost, chances passed and inevitability of death and/or oldness flutter through my mind today. They bring me words of an haiku-like wisdom that are neither cheery or witty, but only demanding to be posted here so I let them out as they came:

It's strange how damaging the montly damage can be once it's truly gone.


There.
***
So Anka and I  went to the cinema yesterday, for another Orange Wednesday adventure (which explains more than the half of the reasons why I'm cranky today) and actually saw a film we liked (a shocker!).


'Shutter Island' was good. Good in a way I'm not going to discuss overly, not to be accused of spoiling anything for possible viewers. There were a few false tones overall, but these  are better to be found (if so) individually. After all what strikes me as odd, may very well fall well with others and vice versa. Still, after a string of 'what-the-fuck-am-I-doing-out-here-paying-to-watch-this-shit' movies*, all the liking I have for this one makes me think like maybe I've stumbled on some pattern, by which I have some strange affinity to dark thrillers set on rocky islands where it's raining all the time. I mean I also liked 'the Ghoswriter'a lot.  It may be that my psyche is just plain jaded, or maybe it's just easier to make a good movie with main ingredients like murky air, sharp topographiacal angles, grim people and the rain, especially if one's name is Martin Scorsese. Possibly, it's both- I'm not really inclined to go all CSI on this right now. The bottom line is the film is worth seeing.

Even with Leonardo di Caprio present on screen it's still good.  I'm not the biggest fan of 'ole boy Leo, or at least not of the teenage heartthrob Leo (cause a heartthrob,you know,  should at least be hot if not handsome and this guy is well.. neither) but I do appreciate Leo the actor. Leo the actor (sounds a bit like 'Leo the Rat' ...) is solid, if not a particular joy to watch. He's well balanced, minimalistic even-expertly underplaying except for the moments when his emotions seem to be toppling him, pouring out of him in miserable ways which looks rather sad than anything else.And I don't mean the well portayed movie sadness, just a sadness of the pathetic sort. Luckily for Leo and for the movie that doesn't happen very often.

Ruffallo-the anything (actor or a guy) never stroke my particular liking (in all those innumerous movies I've seen him in -_-") , but here he makes for one interesting character. Jolly, 'heart-on-the-sleeve-type' bordering on something possibly darker, or is maybe he isn't? You've got to watch and see.  Michelle Williams is a vision of creepiness in all the bright colours, and dreamy sequences, but that was the purpose there so I can bear with it. Creepy vs. sickeningly sweet (see: the Lovely Bones)- 1:0.

All in all, I liked the old school touch of the 50s with the whole of the claustrophobic Hitchcockian atmosphere full of the deceivingly open skies and openly closed spaces, all of which this movie seems to have in spades.

'Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?'-asks Teddy, and by right it is a very interesting question. Especially considering the circumstance.

Watch worthiness is with this one.

*Last week we saw 'An Education' which was admittedly quite nice, truthful but unaffected. We also happened to see 'The Box' with Cameron Diaz and the abyss of mind-fucking idiocy that enveloped us was just too much. That's what you get when you inexpertly mix an political/social/science fiction laced with conspiracy theories, with some wacko mystical something, attempting to make a film about Important Truths Concerning Humanity. The starting point was good, the attempt justified ( as the topic of human behavior under unusual duress could still be explored in a new millennium), the execution however was utterly dreadful.
My brain broke numerous times, grey cells died aplenty, and then the walls of the whole construction folded and left me only a hurting puddle of goo.  So unless you are masochistic- 'The Box' is a 'no go'

Mood:


Cranky&forseeing more rain


PS.1 So apparently Ricky Martin is out and proud now.  Good for him really (though maybe being outed by your own skin beautician spilling beans to the press, is not exactly a dream come true?? o_O"), but is anyone really surprised?
PS 2. My brother neatly twisted his knee 3 days before Easter and he can't help with cleaning and shopping. Very convenient. :> No, but really. He went into ER had an X-ray done and everything. My question is though: a) how can you twist a kneee??? (Never heard of a twisted knee before, and I danced or hung around dancers!) b) how can you do it just by getting up and not doing anything out of the ordinary with your leg/knee. The workings of this ordeal escape me.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz